Thursday, December 25, 2008

Speaking of Influences

"So let’s say I, whom they laughingly assume to be your husband, had taken the letter, having declared myself to be your husband but in truth being a total stranger, and opened it, and read it, out of nothing more than idle curiosity, and then thrown it in a canal, you would never have received it and would have been deprived of your legal right to open your own mail, and all of this because of Venetian je m’en foutisme. I’ve good mind to write the Doge of Venice about it.

Pause

That’s what stopped me taking it, by the way, and bringing it to you, the thought that I could very easily be a total stranger.

Pause

What they of course did not know, and had no way of knowing, was that I am your husband."


-Robert, Scene 5, Betrayal
Harold Pinter, 1978


Rest in peace.

No comments:

 
Add to Technorati Favorites