Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Song for a Crappy Tuesday




Was there ever a Tuesday-er Tuesday than this Tuesday?

No.

I think after the confusing admission last week about the non-song David Archuleta has released (I mean, Christ, it's not even good-bad - it's like eating candy you don't care for...but -sigh- I still listen to it...on purpose. It's best not to dissect further, wouldn't you say? Let's move on.), I figured I should post something of a little more substance today, to show that I haven't totally gone off the shallow end, as it were.

I have a beef with Jack FM and that whole "Playing what we want" lie they keep telling themselves - making the broad, stick-it-to-the-man claims that they are somehow a renegade station playing whatever shit they feel like. In recent months, I think they've moved on to "Playing what we want as long as it's from around late 80's and not particularly good 80's, just the so-so 80's". Every time I flip through the stations and land there, it's like I'm on the desert isle of 1988's Hot 100 and there's no escaping the rotation of UB40's "Red Red Wine" and the Beach Boys easy listenin' return to the airwaves, "Kokomo."

I don't think there is a commercial radio station that can play whatever it wants - there are far too many financial problems posed by such a thing. The closest thing to it, though, might be Chicago's XRT.

I swear to God, I've heard XTC's "Mayor of Simpleton" and (for real, now) "The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins" by Leonard Nimoy all in one morning.

Good for them. I'm not a regular listener, but when I do, I'm always curious about what comes next.

Today's song is from "what comes next". And it's perfect for just how "Tuesday" today is.

"Whatever It Takes" is a new song off the album The Fabled City by Tom Morello: The Nightwatchman. Morello, formerly the guitarist for Rage Against the Machine (Whose "Killing in the Name" is one of the greatest songs of revolution EVER.), is pretty unknown to me as a solo artist. But driving down Irving Park Road on a late night, with little traffic, and a hurricane swirling through the brain, "Whatever It Takes" both calms and stirs this tin can heart of mine.



May your Tuesday be filled with "what comes next".

4 comments:

Jan Smelk said...

Who says LA has no culture?

Anonymous said...

Hi, Jen! It's Mr. Snrub!

Tom Morello and Steve Earle play at the Vic on Nov. 22nd.. Just a heads up. I'm probably going to it if I can move some stuff around on the ole' schedule.

Take care.

-j-j- said...

AWW. Dag.

That's the night we open Soiree DADA.

I wish I could go, but I think a certain white faced alter ego would have me slain.

-j-j- said...

Or rather, it's the second night of Soiree DADA.

(shaking fist at self)

Proofread dammit!

 
Add to Technorati Favorites