Thursday, February 18, 2010

Random Thoughts

1. February is a month of Tuesdays.

2. I was looking out the window at a giant, fat squirrel as it scurried around a light pole. A pigeon looked on with indifference as the tubby little guy fretted near the power lines. The squirrel darted up to the pigeon and, startled that he was not alone, let go of the light pole and dropped out of sight. The pigeon just stared down with, what looked like, bored curiosity, and then went about his business.

I laughed out loud.

I don't know what happened to the squirrel. Did he fall to his death? Did he manage an escape? Is the universe trying to tell me something about the nature of comedy? Is the pigeon Society? Am I an audience, willfully unaware of painful fallout of the Bit?

Should I lay off the coffee?

3. Plenty of us make jokes about how stupid or incompetent we believe our spouses or partners to be. I'm in favor of some good natured ribbing, but occasionally, I taste the pill in the jam. Some jokes are a little too fresh, a little too snide and everyone feels a like they just wandered onto the set of Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? Trust me, taken too far, your joke at the expense of your dumb husband reflects worse on you.

4. The sandwich always comes with mayonnaise. No substitutions. Deal with it. (For you, Jan)


5. Favorite word this week:

heteroclite [ˈhɛtərəˌklaɪt]
adj also heteroclitic [ˌhɛtərəˈklɪtɪk]
(Linguistics) (esp of the form of a word) irregular or unusual
n
(Linguistics) an irregularly formed word
[from Late Latin heteroclitus declining irregularly, from Greek heteroklitos, from hetero- + klinein to bend, inflect]

6. Least Favorite Word:

Sorry.

2 comments:

Jan Smelk said...

But I really wanted THAT sandwich without the mayo.

Anonymous said...

Jen,
I love your post today. And your right, February IS a month of Tuesdays.

MJ

 
Add to Technorati Favorites