Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Song for a Crappy Tuesday

This is one of those days I could easily forget. Nothing exciting happened. The weather isn't terrible, in fact, it's quite manageable. There are no rueful misjudgments. No extraordinary declarations of certainty.

Isn't this how most days are? Strolling through the seconds of disposable time. Easily ignored. It's a relief, in a way, to be so unhampered by agony or ecstasy.


Tuesday, October Thirteenth, clutches her flute and begins to play a wholly unremarkable rendition of Fascinating Rhythm.



Is there something wrong with me? Why don't I love Animal Collective as much as all the hip Musicianados do?

I'm a big fan of Electronica. It's a tough art to master, for sure, and I think it's been dismissed by some as mere 80's pop/dance fluff. But if you give it a real listen, there are some delicate and moving intricacies that can be accomplished by synthesized music.

Those delicacies exist, I think, in Animal Collective's release My Girls. They play with tempo and, with cascading synthesized tones, evoke an oceanic sense reminiscent of an all encompassing love (which, I believe, is referenced in the lyrics).

This is all great and it's a fun listen...but they seem to keep showing up as THE band of the Oughts.

I have nothing really against them. I tap my toes and enjoy them, but I'm not transported the way the throngs of impassioned fans think I should be.

Have a listen...what am I missing?

1 comment:

Erica said...

I SO don't get everyone's love affair with Animal Collective. The last album was totally overrated, and some DJs I listen to are starting to finally say so.

However, this is an awesome cover of My Girls that I love and turn it up whenever I hear it. I dont know if this is an official video, but just give it a listen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9wX3jg1p7Y

 
Add to Technorati Favorites